January 13, 2013

2013 Kickoff, homemade gifts & Pinterest rant

Happy New Year!  I took some time this afternoon to upload some photos from over the last month or so.  I now have a gold mine of posts for the rest of January.  And you thought I had given up on this blog...

I have such an extensive RSS feed now- so I don't get the chance to keep up on all of them.  One that I consistently check on is Knock Off Decor.  When I found this inspiration, I immediately Pinned it.  I like that Pinterest now has "secret boards," because I can easily save gift ideas for later.  In fact, these boards are the only way I utilize the site. 

Side Rant: I get easily annoyed when people rave about Pinterest for the wrong reasons.  I think the site is a great place to search for ideas, but  I don't like it when people give the site credit for recipes, crafts, outfits, etc.  Pinterest did not create these ideas- bakers, cooks, artists, designers, etc. are the people who should receive credit!  End rant.  Whew.

Knock Off Decor featured Sheet Music Candles that Gail from "Can't Stop Making Things" created.  The tutorial can be found here.

 I found the shorter candle at Garden Ridge in Omaha and the multi-colored one at TJ Maxx.

I read through the tutorial and it seemed easy enough.  Can I just tell you that I had a heck of a time feeding the tissue paper through my printer?  But after struggling through that part- I used a heat embossing tool to melt the tissue paper in no time and I was absolutely thrilled with the results!

Since I do enjoy shopping and it's so easy to purchase unique gifts anymore via Etsy and other places, it was a bit of a personal triumph to make something homemade and purposeful.  I am going to make it a point in 2013 to make more handmade gifts.

No comments:

Post a Comment