August 5, 2010

What a find!

Right around the time Amber and I became infatuated with finding the right Christmas tree decorations, I also became obsessed with finding creative and elegant ways to wrap gifts. Unfortunately, much of what I found that I loved from Better Homes and Gardens and Martha I had to dismiss as too expensive and time-consuming for my taste.

Even though I am an artist and feel that presentation is important, I am also a Skelton and don't find it practical to spend money on something that is going to be ripped and thrown away. (At least we can rotate the gift bags from person to person each year.)

Then I found the following:

Featured on marthastewart.com, the above picture is of gifts wrapped in tissue paper and then wrapped again in a glassine paper. I'll go the easy way out and let you read about it on wikipedia.

I searched for this glassine paper everywhere, it seemed! I called places in Lincoln, looked online for a good place to order from--and finally found it at Dick Blick in Omaha. I was so ecstatic when the salesgirl said she had it; and then I was floored at how inexpensive it turned out to be.

I have a wedding this weekend to attend, and here is how the gift turned out:

The card is simply two layers of cardstock; the "bride and groom" is printed on a regular inkjet printer; and I wrote a short note for the card on the backside. Because the glassine is wrapped over the tissue paper and card, the card cannot be accidentally separated from the gift.

I just love the look of the layers/folds of the paper.

1 comment: