May 31, 2011

Familiarity

About a week ago, we were back on the Midland campus for my sister-in-law's graduation weekend. Ben and I took a little stroll between Baccalaureate and Graduation to re-visit the Cross at the Center, Musbach (the art gallery and ceramics studio) and I had to stop by the little room I used to oil paint in.


The second easel from the right is where I sat for a few semesters. That station is where I discovered not only how oils worked, but how I loved working with oils. This medium clicked for me more than any other media before. I also worked at that station when I painted mini-canvases as centerpieces for my wedding reception.



This station is where I finished my pieces for my senior art show. Just to the right of easel was a radio, and I always changed the settings to the oldies station. I can't count how many nights I sang along, out loud, lost in the music and paint- until I heard a little noise and realized that other people could hear me too.


Along with my drawing/crafts desk, I purchased an easel for a great price. While I might long for the solid, wooden easels splattered in paint at first, I am excited for new memories and new discoveries.

1 comment: