June 1, 2011

A different appreciation

These photos were taken back in May 2009. Ben's cousin was about to get married, and her bridal party bouquets were all peonies from her parents' and in-laws' backyards and from the Midland campus. I can't remember the last time I purchased cards (well except for gifts and yes, my wedding thank yous) and so I visited Grandma's backyard for some inspiration to make the bride and groom's card.





I ended up taking, I believe, the light pink image, and manipulating it in Photoshop. Closely cropped, monotone (grayscale image printed in one ink) dark pink on vellum, and overlaying the handwritten message on paper beneath--it was not the most obvious rendition of a peony, but I was very pleased.

That's what happens sometimes. Until now, I hadn't shared these images with anyone; they were simply used as inspiration and one was manipulated enough to represent what I wanted to keep of the original.

Now I can look at them with different memories- reminders of the pride Grandma had walking around her garden, and the anticipation and joy she felt as the peony bushes grew and bloomed.

1 comment:

  1. I remember picking peonies with my Grandma to take to family graves on Memorial day in years past...so it was fitting to pick some peonies to take to her grave this year. Here's to our wonderful grandmas....

    ReplyDelete