November 11, 2011

Invitation- bringing everything together

I was ecstatic to develop the remaining elements for the invitation. Next up- how to assemble the invitations.

I had taped a piece of ribbon in between the "pages" to emulate a bookmark; I also taped decorative scrapbook paper to the outside of the "cover" for the binding. I thought about all of the tape we would have to purchase; how many pieces of tape we would need to cut and place; and I was also thinking about how time-consuming and disastrous the process could turn out to be.

Considering I was designing the piece, I wanted the execution to go smoothly and, quite honestly, I wanted the invitations to be as perfect as possible.

Before my ah-ha! moment, I had been doing research online to find inspiration for a unique invitation design. I loved the idea of fabric and stitching...and the idea stayed in my mind when I realized the library book was a go. As much as fabric would have been fun, I knew the scrapbook paper would be much simpler and faster, and would provide enough detail- especially if we stitched the paper together.

Hours of research and pondering later (I found a blog post about sewing with a craft machine that generated over 200 comments!) I decided on the Janome Sew Mini. I was able to pick up my new investment at Hancock Fabrics just five minutes from my house.

No comments:

Post a Comment