June 20, 2012

A Friday night craft hour


I love my craft time for Worship Committee projects.  In this case, I volunteered to create a Trinity symbol the Thursday night before the Sunday it needed to go up.  I hit up Hobby Lobby Friday after work and constructed most of it that night.

The Plan: buy three grapevine wreaths, white spray paint, and wing it.
The Modified Plan as I shopped: price three white styrofoam wreaths and white fabric and wing it.
The Final Plan as I put the first six wreaths away: cut three embroidery hoops to interlock and cover in fabric (wing it).


Hobby Lobby purchases:
Three 14" embroidery hoops
White tulle (40% off coupon!)

I chose the white tulle because the Trinity symbolizes the Father, Son and Holy Ghost- the Worship Committee wanted an ethereal, delicate look.



So The Final Plan was modified again.  Instead of attempting much more measuring and multiple cutting and piecing together, I chose these steps:

  1. Only using the middle hoops, I overlapped the three circles
  2. Tied the hoops together with strips of tulle
  3. Started wrapping the hoops with tulle
  4. Realized I could still see the wood
  5. Unwrapped the tulle
  6. Painted the hoops white (yes, got paint on my hands and legs)
  7. Wrapped hoops with tulle, tucking and weaving- much more time-consuming than you might think*
   *though not as long as the wedding letters wrapped in yarn and lace

The next day, Ben finagled a way to prop the symbol up using items in our office.  I used a piece of kneaded rubber eraser to hold the wire in place on the table.



Above display by Worship Committee


1 comment: