June 23, 2012

I'm not defensive- this is normal


Most of my books are on bookshelves throughout various rooms in the house, including the basement.  However, the books I am currently reading are all in the bedroom because I usually read in the evenings before I go to sleep.  Thirteen might seem a little excessive, but I have explanations for each and every one, I promise.

Books 1-9 are found on my nightstand.
  1. Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer: I almost finished this Book Club book.  It is based on a true story and took awhile to get into.  I didn't make it to the discussion/movie, so I didn't make time to finish it.
  2. Run by Ann Patchett: Borrowed from Amanda (BFA)- I started this Ann Patchett book months (maybe years?) ago and it just hasn't been as alluring as The Magician's Assistant or Bel Canto.  I am halfway through and will finish it someday!
  3. The Bible: I think I've had this Bible since 7th grade.  New International Version was what we used in religion classes and my preferred version.  It is worn from years of travel between other books in my backpack.
  4. Dare to Repair, Replace & Renovate by Julie Sussman & Stephanie Glakas-Tenet: R gave me this book for my last birthday.  Some parts are fun for now, and I look forward to using it more when we own a house.
  5. Encyclopedia of the Exquisite by Jessica Kerwin Jenkins: Read 6.
  6. Just My Type by Simon Garfield: Both 5 and 6 were gifts from Amanda, birthday presents from 2011 and 2012.  I haven't finished either, but have been making my way through each.  I think in each of the notes she wrote, part of the reason she picked the book for me was because of the cover.  I was completely giddy when I opened each one.
  7. Writing Personal Notes & Letters by Jennifer Williams: I purchased this as a gift to myself.  I enjoy writing and receiving notes/letters and thought it would be a nice book to have around for looks.
  8. Room by Emma Donahue: BFA- I've heard such great reviews about this book, and both R and Amanda have already read it.  I am only a few pages in, because right after I borrowed it, we found out our next Book Club book.  See 9.
  9. The Orchid Thief by Susan Orlean: I realized I don't really need to buy every Book Club book and decided it was time to give my wallet a rest.  Only a couple chapters in, but this library book is a fairly quick read so far.  I just need to remember to return it on time.
  10. Running With Scissors by Augusten Burroughs: Last month's Book Club book.  I FINISHED THIS BOOK ON TIME.
  11. Winnie the Pooh by A. A. Milne: BFA- the inspiration for Amanda's wedding invitations.  See other wedding posts.
  12. A Year of Mornings by Maria Alexandra Vettese and Stephanie Congdon Barnes: I found this book when I was reorganizing the office a few weeks ago.  I actually had bought two copies- one for Amanda and one for myself.  The book is a compilation of photos that two women blogged back and forth.
  13. The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory: Book Club book.  Didn't even start it.  Didn't watch the movie.  Someday.

Books 10-13 also serve as decoration on the shelf above the bedroom table.


2 comments:

  1. i like the numbers on the pics by the books. something about it....super cool looking =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Took you a while to get into it?! You weren't hooked after the first paragraph? Krakauer does an excellent job of getting to the hook really fast. ;-) Glad you got into it eventually. Definitely one of my favorites. As for The Other Boleyn Girl...No thanks.

    ReplyDelete