May 3, 2010

May Museum--must be Laura!




Today was a busy day. The morning started out with a baptism of a dear friend's son and then I photographed two different Midland sororities. I was glad the weather cooperated, though there were a few sprinkles for the 2:00 appointment; and that was the group that had already postponed their shoot, due to scheduling conflicts within the sorority.

My experience over the last two years for photography has mainly been kids, families, and small groups of people, meaning generally less than five or six subjects. I have had limited experience with larger families. Therefore, attempting two large groups (on the same day, no less) was going to take some preparation, and so ever since I booked the sororities' shoots I did research online, checking out websites of other photographers and doing some general Google searches.

I will post more on the second sorority later this week, but the first group I photographed at the May Museum--a place I may overuse as a backdrop, but find it reliable as a location for variety, shade, and textures. The girls actually loved it, and continued commenting on what a great place it was for pictures during the hour we were there.

I could write quite a bit on my experience of the first shoot, but it is getting late, so I will keep it short: the first picture (above) turned out great except for the car and tools in the background. Depending on the sizes ordered, those details will be cropped; otherwise, Ben has been telling me what he finds on the internet about Photoshop CS5, which is supposed to have a cool new feature that will help with those problems of unwanted elements.

Also, Ben was a great help today; he loaded chairs into the car, helped me move the ladders I utilized at the May Museum and helped move the chairs around during the first shoot. I admittedly was a bit intimidated about taking on two group photoshoots in a row, so it helped to have the support, physically and emotionally. Plus, he gave me some good feedback once the shoot was done.

1 comment:

  1. Both good shots. The tools crack me up, although I'm not sure I would have noticed them had you not mentioned them.

    ReplyDelete