April 12, 2010

Getting it right

So I found a recipe on-guess, where, else?- Martha's site for Wasabi Deviled Eggs. And I really, really wanted to try it out. It didn't matter that I had never made deviled eggs. What fun this would be! Turns out it's pretty simple, but you have to get everything just right. I should know, considering I have made the eggs three times in the last week.

Here is what I have learned each time:

Easter Sunday
is an ideal time to make the deviled eggs; goes with the theme; but when traveling in the car, make sure you position the dish (especially if it doesn't have the friendly egg-shaped indentations) so the egg whites do not get squished and deformed.
I thought they turned out great the first time, but I decided they were a little too salty, and my husband thought there was too much wasabi. What? No such thing.

I prepared the eggs again for a picnic; once again, though, we had to travel. The eggs did not get squished, though. I learned from mistake the first time and placed the eggs in the car myself, instead of letting my husband take care of them. However, letting someone else put them in the fridge, and then that person also placing the bagged filling on top of the eggs--all this resulted in squished eggs again. I omitted the coarse salt. When I tasted the filling, I thought it was great, but later decided it needed the salt. Also, the eggs were considerably harder to peel, and there was a bit of grittiness from a leftover
layer.

Finally, two days after the picnic, I provided the eggs at a family potluck. I heard people in line show interest in trying them out, but I didn't actually hear any compliments later.

However, this time I added some coarse salt. And, in attempt to get rid of the grittiness, I allowed the eggs to boil longer than the previous time. This was the first time I shelled the eggs right after they cooled, instead of letting them sit in the fridge for hours, so I don't know if that made a difference or not, but they were very easy to peel.


From hot to cold

No comments:

Post a Comment