April 21, 2011

Got that from Papa's Side

And of course I received encouragement from my dad's side too. Aunt Ree spoiled us kids and every summer we went shopping for whatever we were interested in the time. This meant day-trips to Omaha, to visit stores like Michael's, Hobby Lobby and Mangelsen's**. And did I mention I got her addicted to scrapbooking? That was a win-win move! Plus, Laree bought me all of my first cameras.

A scrap night at Archiver's with Ree and Annie, Spring 2007


Grandma took us to work on ceramics. I learned the process of cleaning and finishing greenware; knowing the difference in texture, fragility and abilities before the pieces were fired; and the most fun part was painting, staining and/or glazing. Grandma always had fabric scraps to give me for projects and knew the right way to do anything around the house.

I also remember drawing pictures of items in Grandma's Avon book. I loved drawing the Cherry-flavored chapstick, red lipstick (like all the red shades that filled Grandma's lipstick drawer in the bathroom) and jewelry. I would painstakingly get every detail perfect, along with prices listed next to the pictures- then run through the kitchen to the front door. Grandma would answer the door so I could sit down in the living room to "sell" her items from the book.

**Hobby Lobby and Mangelsen's offered fun for the boys too: less "girly" crafts or projects, and FREE popcorn!

No comments:

Post a Comment