April 20, 2011

Mama's Family

I was lucky to be surrounded by people who encouraged me in my creative pursuits. As a little girl, I loved reading and writing and my mom would take me on countless trips to the public library to pick out books. From instructional and crafty books, to connecting to characters like Claudia from The Babysitter's Club series, those books inspired me to become a writer, an artist, to be creative at anything I wanted.

Nostalgic trip back to Ben Franklin July 2009

I always received unique and educational gifts from my mom's side of the family; I remember specifically a rubber stamp-making set from the Yonemuras. Grandma "Jima" would take me to Ben Franklin for handmade and origami paper. All of the cousins enjoy origami, and the older (girl!) cousins got me hooked on beading, stamping, and card-making.

2 comments:

  1. I've been considering doing a "nostalgic" series myself lately. I particularly like the creativity theme that runs throughout yours. It's funny to me, because I don't think there was a store that I disliked in my childhood more than Michaels. Hobby Lobby was far better, because they have a model airplane section...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, it's so funny you wrote that, because I already had the next post planned out. My brothers were always dragged along to Hobby Lobby, Michael's, Mangelsen's...

    ReplyDelete